• Advertisement
Preserving the Apple IIGS

Windows Server 2000-2008 - OS - Multiple DHCP servers per network

Any software title released for Windows. Articles are posted in "Windows Version - Software Title - Subject" format.

Windows Server 2000-2008 - OS - Multiple DHCP servers per network

Postby lmmtux » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:04 pm

In Windows Server 2000-2008, you can have multiple DHCP servers on your network for redundancy. To do this, you need to ensure that both servers do not lease out the same block of IPs, as this can cause conflicts. For each DHCP scope that is to be handled by multiple DHCP servers on your network, Microsoft recommends splitting the scope 80/20 among the two DHCP servers as the easiest way to have redundancy. Clustering two DHCP servers is also supported, but for practicality, splitting the DHCP scope is the simplest method for most. Personally I split the scope 50/50 and allow enough IP addresses to ensure that neither of the split can ever fill up (i.e. if one of the DHCP servers was down).

To set up a split scope:

1. Add the entire scope to both DHCP servers in the DHCP management console and make sure that all options match. To make this easier, you can also backup and restore your DHCP settings from one server to another in the management console.
  2. On the first DHCP server, click on Address Pool under the scope.
  3. Right-click and select "New Exclusion Range"
  4. Enter in the Start and End IP Addresses to exclude. I usually split it 50/50 so enter in a range here that covers one half of the scope.
  5. Click OK.
  6. On the second DHCP server, click on Address Pool under the same scope.
  7. Right-click and select "New Exclusion Range"
  8. Enter in the Start and End IP Addresses to exclude. Assuming you want to split 50/50, enter in the range of the remaining half of the scope (the range left over from the first DHCP server).
  9. Click OK.

Now, you should have the same DHCP scope set up on both DHCP servers, but each one should exclude half of the scope.

Example:

DHCP Server 1:
dhcp1.jpg
dhcp1.jpg (18.04 KiB) Viewed 2417 times

DHCP Server 2:
dhcp2.jpg
dhcp2.jpg (17.9 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
lmmtux

Return to Microsoft Windows