• Advertisement
Preserving the Apple IIGS

Fedora 14- - Docking any application to the Gnome tray

Any software title released with a GNU/Linux distribution. Articles are posted in "Linux Distribution - Software Title - Subject" format.

Fedora 14- - Docking any application to the Gnome tray

Postby lmmtux » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:20 pm

In Fedora 14 and below, docking any application to the Gnome tray can be done with the "alltray" program.

For example, I prefer to have Sunbird always running in the tray, so that notifications and reminders will pop up for calendar events.

To install and use alltray:

Run this to install alltray, in a root command shell:

Code: Select all
yum install alltray

To have your program dock itself to the tray every time you log in to Gnome, follow these steps:

1. Go to System / Preferences / Session Properties.
  2. Click the Add button.
  3. Enter in the following values (where "(your application)" is the name of the executable you wish to dock:
    • Name: (your application)
    • Command: alltray (your application)
  4. Click Save and Close.
  5. The next time you log in to Gnome, you should have your application running in the tray.

For example, I use alltray to dock Sunbird. I use these values for the new entry in Session Properties as above:

• Name: sunbird
  • Command: alltray sunbird

In this example, if you simply click on the Sunbird icon in the tray, it will open the running Sunbird application. If you click the "X" to close Sunbird, it will return to the tray. If you go to File / Quit in Sunbird, it will close and undock it. It will dock the next time you log in though.
lmmtux

Return to Linux